Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Fuel System Introduction - 

When swapping any EFI engine into a Datsun Roadster, or any other car, you have to add a high-pressure fuel pump. The easy way is to mount an external pump, although many report these to be annoyingly loud. I went with the in-tank solution of an OEM Honda pump. This pump works because will fit in the Roadster's relatively shallow tank. Most pump assemblies, such as that from the Miata itself, are quite tall.

The installation of the Honda pump has been well-documented by others, such as here. The specific source for this pump, according to my notes, Hondas and Acuras from the second half of the '90s. When I first went to the junk yard, I was in a hurry and (a) did not consult my notes and (b) did not check the pump, or even think very much, before buying the tank.

You have to buy the whole tank to get the catch can, so the pump will not be starved during cornering and such. So, since I didn't want to buy another tank, I made due with the wrong catch can and simply used it with the proper pump, which I bought later on. This earlier catch can seems to be bigger than the later one and doesn't fit so well; I had to mount it backwards.

I found that, in my opinion, the Honda pump assembly is *too* shallow. With the stock mounting ring, the base of the pump hangs over an inch above the bottom of the tank. The stock Roadster fuel level sender registers "empty" at about 1/4" from the bottom of the tank. So, I removed the ring, but the pump was still high, so I modified its mounting bracket in a manner that is a little kludgy, but should work fine.

I went with a no-weld solution because (a) I don't weld and (b) I didn't feel like taking it to a place willing to weld a gas tank only to have them screw it up somehow. There are way too many bits and pieces to get in the right place for me to risk the odds. Again, the end result is not as polished or pretty as I would like, but it is functional, and will be hidden away. It does have the small benefit of being easily disassembled should I need to.

No comments:

Post a Comment