Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Cooling System Introduction -

The cooling system for this transplant is assembled mostly from a selection of OEM or aftermarket Honda parts. The radiator is one of those cheap types that you see all over eBay. The fan assembly is from a 5th generation Civic. The heater control valve can be found in just about any Honda or Acura from the 90s. Even two of the three thermostat housings used come from a 1st generation Civic.

I actually first installed this radiator and electric fan while still driving the stock engine. It was a slightly tight fit, but I was pleased with the efficiency and quiet of the combo. The greater space created by the Miata engine, which sits farther back, allowed me to clean up my mounting system and create a pretty slick set-up.

**PLEASE NOTE** In the stock Miata, water is *always* flowing through the heater. Thus, for the rear of the engine block to cool properly and for the fan to ever turn off after the engine has gotten to temperature, the shut off valve that I detail below CANNOT BE CLOSED. Since it is winter, I don't care. But, I do need to re-plumb the heater valve so that it bypasses into the return line when shut, rather than simply blocking the flow of water.


This shot shows the radiator and side deflectors installed with the stock Roadster engine. Note the angled cut of the far deflector. The radiator is tipped to keep the bottom away from the tie rod ends and the top away from the water pump nose. With the Miata engine, there is no need to tip the radiator -- plenty of room.
The aftermarket Honda Del Sol radiator sits in two rubber bushings held by a pair of custom brackets. The brackets mount to existing threaded holes on the cross member; they are cut from 2" x 1/8" steel. The rubber bushings are from the upper radiator mounts of a late-model Daewoo. Plenty of these cars in one of my usual yards, for some reason.
Here is a closeup of one of the lower radiator brackets. I used these same brackets to mount this radiator when I had the stock Roadster engine in place. The only difference is that I had to use much slimmer bushings (really just rubber grommets) and tip the radiator forward at the top to clear the Datsun water pump pulley.
Here is a PDF template of my driver's side lower radiator bracket. Although I simply flipped this template over to create the passenger's side bracket, I did find that I had to tweak the bends slightly to account for differences between the two sides of the crossmember. Test fitment with pieces of cardboard or something before cutting the final pieces.
Here is the upper radiator mounting bracket, with a Daewoo bushing already installed.
The template for the upper radiator mounting bracket.
The upper radiator bracket installed. This is not the most comprehensive view, but suffice it to say that the radiator fits very well and square, with a great deal of clearance all around and no cutting of anything (except hoses). It is well-placed relative to the stock air scoop below. I may yet make deflectors for the sides, though, as the Honda radiator does not fill the space.

No comments:

Post a Comment