Tuesday, September 6, 2011

The Cuts and The Mounts

In the end, this was the only "necessary" cut off of the engine, and even it is specific to my particular plan for mounting the engine. It is a small nubbin of iron that sticks off of the lower mounting point for the alternator.
I also cut some of the tabs for the heat shielding off of the exhaust manifold to clear the steering column and frame rail. At some point, I'm going to replace this ratty thing with a nice aftermarket manifold. But, for now my money is going elsewhere.
Not a great deal of clearance here! I guess I'm going to have to buy an angle grinder (finally an excuse) and grind the manifold for something more like a 1/4" gap.
A short portion of the stock Miata downpipe holds the O2 sensor. Before I take the car to the exhaust shop, I'll cut this a little shorter and they should be able to form a nice curve under the footwell and right into the cut-off end of my 2-1/4" exhaust system that I was using with the stock 1600 engine.
Here is a test fit of my mount solution, on the driver's side. It uses two 1/4" x 3" steel plates to join the stock Roadster mount to the stock BP mounting holes and the stock Roadster frame pad. The cantilevered plate deflects about 1mm under the engine's weight. We'll see what it does under the torque of a running engine.
Same deal, on the passenger side. I really like this solution because it self-centers the engine and requires so little in the way of fabrication. We'll see how it holds up. I will probably end up welding new pads to the frame at some point, if I love the new engine. I like that, for now, this is completely reversible.














































No comments:

Post a Comment